Salsa Shines. Never an easy step for me, even after I became an avid salsa dancer! Yes, I learned a lot of salsa moves, and yes, I knew endless salsa steps, but mastering salsa shines was not easy for me. Let me start by saying, when I started salsa dancing it was not common for guys or girls to dance without holding each other. So, a great deal of self consciousness returned when I had to let go, and start dancing in front of another person ...
My first few free style salsa moves were simply that. A few measures of beats where I did a simple spin (a common LA style of salsa shine), or a right turn followed by the vaunted hook step (the male mega salsa move). However, it wasn't until visiting New York that my study of salsa shines became a full blown salsa dance passion. I actually started enjoying putting on a song, and mastering harder and harder salsa patterns in front of a mirror. It was great. Challenging. We had suzie q's, we had masterful toe tapping goodness. It was a lot of fun!
So, as I said, It came as a shock when I found out that over a hundred shines had been set down to study by Eddie Torres, notable on2 mambo legend. However, it was also really nice to simply memorize steps, and music. Not exactly cool for social dancing perhaps, as I found many people doing the practiced salsa shines of noted teachers, end up looking stiff and overly practiced. I hate that look. I think salsa moves and salsa steps should flow naturally ... from your passion, your partner, and the intertwining of the two in real time.
Over time though, my sines improved, and I was able to discard that practiced, rehearsed look, and really let loose of my inner dance through these shines. A breakthrough came from another New York class where the teacher recommended I dance a whole dance of just one shine (as everyone should dance many dances practicing their basic). Well, I did it, and guess what? Over the course of the song, and the practice, the move changed. It evolved. It became "my own", versus a carbon copy of what was taught to me. My salsa shines began to shine!
No, it doesn't happen without practice, but yes, it can happen for you too!
No comments:
Post a Comment